||Michael H. Cosh, Ph.D.|
USDA-ARS Hydrology and Remote Sensing Laboratory
Bldg. 007, Rm. 104, BARC-West
Beltsville, MD 20705-2350 USA
Voice: (301) 504-6461
Fax: (301) 504-8931
Research Interests: (click here to see a list of current research projects)
- In-situ soil moisture network validation.
- Scaling of land surface parameters to satellite scale.
- Leaf Wetness characterization and its interaction with microwave remote sensing.
- Validation of satellite soil moisture products, such as AMSR-E, SMOS, Aquarius, and SMAP.
- 1995 B.A. (Engineering, minors in Math, Physics) Department of Mathematics, Chemistry, and Physical Sciences, Saint Francis College, Loretto, PA. (Graduated Magna Cum Laude with Honors)
- 1996 B.S. (Civil and Environmental Engineering) Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA.
- 1998 M.S. (Hydraulics and Hydrology) School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- 2002 Ph.D. (Environmental Fluid Mechanics and Hydrology) School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY.
- 1998 - 2001: School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY; Graduate Research Assistant.
- 2002 - 2005: USDA-ARS-Hydrology and Remote Sensing Laboratory, Beltsville, MD; Physcial Science Post-Doctoral Researcher.
- 2005 - present: USDA-ARS-Hydrology and Remote Sensing Laboratory, Beltsville, MD; Research Hydrologist.
- 1991: St. Francis Scholarship.
- 1992: Clares Scholarship.
- 1997: Defrees Family Foundation Fellowship.
- 2003: ARS Outstanding Performance Award, USDA-ARS Hydrology and Remote Sensing Laboratory, Beltsville MD.
- 2008: ARS Beltsville Area Early Career Scientist of the Year
- American Geophysical Union Member
- AGU Hydrology Remote Sensing Technical Committee Chairperson
- AGU Hydrology Large Scale Field Experimentation Technical Committee Chairperson
- AGU Fall Meeting Hydrology Program Chairperson
- USDA Remote Sensing Coordination Committee, ARS Representative
- IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Society Member
- American Meteorological Society Member
Selected Publications: (please contact the author to determine reprint availability)
(view author's publications/interpretive summaries/technical abstracts since 1999)
Cosh, M. H., W. Brutsaert, Aspects of soil moisture variability in the Washita '92 study region, J. Geophys. Res. 104, D16, 19751-19757, 1999.
Cosh, M. H. J. Stedinger, and W. Brutsaert, Time chagnes in spatial structure of surface variability in the Southern Great Plains, Advances in Water Resources, 26, 407-415, 2003.
Cosh, M. H., T. J. Jackson, R. Bindlish, and J. Prueger, Watershed scale temporal persistence of soil moisture and its role in validating satellite estimates, Remote Sensing of Environment, 92, 4, 427-435, 2004.
Cosh, M. H., T. J. Jackson, R. Bindlish, J. S. Famiglietti, and D. Ryu, Calibration of an impedance probe for estimation of surface soil water content over laarge regions, J. Hydrology, 311 (1/4) 49-58, 2005.
Cosh, M. H., T. J. Jackson, P. Starks, and G. Heathman, Temporal stability of surface soil moisture in the Little Washita River watershed and its applications in satellite soil moisture product validation, J. Hydrol., 323 (1-4), 168-177, 2006.
Cosh, M. H., Stedinger, J. R., Ou, S. C., Liou, K.-N., and Brutsaert, W., Evolution of the variability of surface temperature and vegetation density in the Great Plains, Adv. Water Resour., 30, 1094-1104, 2007.
Cosh, M. H., Jackson, T. J., Moran, M. S., and Bindlish, R., Temporal persistence and stability of surface soil moisture in a semi-arid watershed, Remote Sensing of Environment, 112, 304-313, 2008.